Friday, July 20, 2007

the ghost of the georgia peach

Good news for Jet City baseball fans: Ichiro is here through 2012.

While I'm not a huge Mariners fan (go Twins!), I love baseball, and Ichiro is probably my favorite ballplayer to watch. I would have been disappointed to see him leave this city for Boston or New York, two teams that seem to chew up all of the talent in baseball come contract-time. God, I hate the AL East.

Ichiro plays an older style of ball, a style perfected by Ty Cobb before the homerun overtook the game. It's a style where hustle, speed, and guile (and in Cobb's case, violence) earn one base at a time, and power is less valuable than a good eye, a smooth swing, and swift feet. Ballplayers like Ichiro are a dying breed in the Majors.

Boston and New York can keep Manny and A-Rod. I'll be happy watching Ichiro swat Texas-leaguers into right and beat out infield singles for the next four years. It's the way the game was meant to be played.

I'll write more about why I hate the homerun later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home