Friday, May 23, 2008

indiana jones and the end of my boyhood

One of my favorite scenes in all of movie history is in the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark, in which Indy's conniving South American guide swings on Indy's whip across a chasm, then absconds with the whip and the idol ("No time to argue seƱor, you throw me the idol, I throw you the whip.").

Indy is left with no way to swing across the chasm as the temple collapses around him. So he leaps. He barely catches a vine fortuitously hanging at the other edge of the chasm. After a tense struggle, Indy pulls himself to safety, and finishes the rest of his thrilling escape from the temple. He even manages to get the idol back. That scene gives me goosebumps to this day. It's just so cool.

There is no corresponding scene in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but there is plenty in the movie to enjoy. An early motorcylce chase where Indy and his new greaser companion, Mutt, escape a couple of KGB agents is especially enjoyable, and ends in one of the better one liners of the whole series. Harrison Ford delivers his best performance as Indy, and Shia LaBeouf as Mutt again proves why he was the most enjoyable part of Transformers. As the Commie scientist bad guy, Cate Blanchett is Cate Blanchett. Which is to say, great.

If you expect Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to top Raiders (good luck!) or Last Crusade, you'll be disappointed. If you liked Temple of Doom(and why wouldn't you?), Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is well worth seeing.

For me, it's just good to see an old boyhood friend in action again. Yes, Indy is a friend of mine. Leave me alone.

3 Comments:

Blogger evilcat said...

It seemed to me you were getting a little choked up when Indy says with wonder, "They were archaeologists!"

In a fight between Indy and Brett Favre, who would win?

12:35 PM  
Blogger poverty said...

That's hilarious. . .just before I read your comment (something like three seconds before) I was thinking to myself that Indiana Jones is kind of the Brett Favre of movies...seriously.
God I'm a dork.

Indy would kick Brett's ass.

12:40 PM  
Blogger OCD OD said...

DOORrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk!
I heart you.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home